Rather than using an Audio Interface with a dynamic or condenser microphone, a USB microphone is a simple way to start recording with better sound quality than using the mic/headphone connection on your machine.
Some USB microphones are plug and play, while others require an audio device driver, typically downloaded from the manufacturers website. Check the manufacturer’s site to ensure you’re using the latest available drivers before following the steps below!
To connect a USB microphone to Cakewalk by BandLab:
- Connect your device to your machine prior to starting Cakewalk by BandLab
- Launch Cakewalk by BandLab
- Go to Edit > Preferences, or press P when the Start Screen is closed to open the Preferences menu
- Under Audio > Playback and Recording, set your Driver Mode to ASIO. If your device does not utilize a driver from the manufacturer, try WASAPI Shared (Windows 10), or WDM/KS (Windows 7 or 8)
- Under Audio > Devices, make sure your device is selected as an Input device. If you’re using the headphone output, also check the Output category.
Click Apply and OK to save your changes!