MIDI keyboard controllers normally utilize USB, but some devices may still utilize a 5 pin MIDI connection. If you use 5 pin MIDI, you will need to connect the device directly to a MIDI interface, Audio Interface with MIDI inputs and outputs, or use a MIDI to USB conversion cable.
To connect a USB MIDI Keyboard to Cakewalk by BandLab:
- Connect your device via USB to your machine
- Launch Cakewalk by BandLab
- Go to Edit > Preferences, or press P when the Start Screen is closed to open the Preferences menu
- Under MIDI > Devices, select your keyboard as an Input device.
Note: Only check the box for Output if you’re using a hardware synth and want to send MIDI signal back to your device
- Click Apply and OK to save your changes!
Learn how to record using virtual instruments and your USB MIDI keyboard here