Activation is the process that validates that your software is genuine and being used in accordance with the End User License Agreement. Cakewalk by BandLab will default to activating automatically while online, but offline activation is also available.
A toast notification will appear at the bottom of the screen if Cakewalk has not been activated yet. If your computer is connected to the internet, go to Help > Sign in to BandLab
To automatically keep your activation status up to date, Cakewalk will renew your activation status each time a new version of the application is installed or when you sign in to BandLab from within Cakewalk. If you have never signed in to BandLab from within Cakewalk, you will be prompted once to sign in. Note that you must have an active internet connection for the automatic renewal process to work.
As long as you stay logged in to BandLab within Cakewalk and use Cakewalk occasionally, it will remain activated with no further user intervention required. Saving and exporting are disabled until Cakewalk is activated, so be sure to refresh the activation if a message to do so appears!
If Cakewalk is installed on a computer that is not connected to the internet, you can use offline activation as long as you have access to another computer that is connected to the internet. To use offline activation, follow these steps:
- In Cakewalk, go to Help > Offline Activation > Export Activation Request to open the Save activation request dialog box.
- Select the folder you want to save the activation request file to, then click Save. Cakewalk saves an Activation request.crq file. This file is encrypted and machine-specific and can only be used to activate Cakewalk on the machine originally used to create the Activation request.crq file.
- Copy the Activation request.crq file to removable media such as a USB flash drive that you can transfer to another computer with an active internet connection.
- Using an online computer, open BandLab Assistant and sign in with your BandLab username and password. Click the Apps tab.
- Under Cakewalk by BandLab, click the drop-down arrow next to the Open button, then click Process Offline Activation Request. If activation is granted, BandLab Assistant generates an Activation response.dat file.
- Copy the Activation response.dat file to removable media that you can transfer back to your offline Cakewalk computer.
- In Cakewalk, go to Help > Offline Activation > Import Activation Response to open the Import activation response dialog box.
- Select the Activation response.dat file and click Open. If the response file is valid, the program will be activated.